So you want to be a Civil Engineer? Here are words of advice for you. Grab that desire, seal it, and don’t let it leave you. Never allow anything (be it failing grade or a despicable professor) take that dream away. Never!
As you enter that classroom for your first day in College, a lot of adversaries will come. In your early years as a civil engineering student, you should already be aware of these probable scenarios.
1. Muscle-bending-bone-twisting PE classes. Well, that’s a pre-requisite subject. You have no choices but to take it. Ohh by the way, prepare to dance boogie, rumba, and waltz.
2. If you are masculine, you need to take the Reserve Officer Training Course or ROTC which was really crucial for me. You need to finish it for two years but after the training, you may wish to join with the arm forces, you can do so but me “No” I have to target my goal.
3. After the PE classes, rush to your next class to answer the 100 items out-of-this-world advance algebra exam in 1 hour. Are those even discussed by the professor? Nahh..
4. Memorize, familiarize and pray (to retain in your mind) the definitions of atoms, neutrons, protons and the valence number of Calcium discovered by whom in what A.D for your Chemistry class.
5. Read that 215 pages history of the world book and prepare for the 10 items quiz.
6. Encounter the minor subjects that you will feel alive such as Geometry, Analytics, Solid Mensuration, Differential and Integral Calculus, Mechanics and Strength of Materials and we’ll include the Differential Equation and Advanced Math in the higher year. Still alive!
7. Apparently, the most crucial subjects are about designs like Timber Design, Steel Design and my favorite the Reinforced Concrete Design. And much more.
Oh by the way before we go on, you will experience the enjoyment once you go out from the room with your surveying equipment for your Surveying Subjects. It was really fun.
If you prove yourself worthy to pass the screening years, welcome to senior years!
Where the real challenge is. You will become skinnier (or fatter). You will have your on-the-job training classes and be exposed to construction sites. Wear that OJT hardhat with pride and act like a real engineer. Let the feeling of gratitude on supervising foreman penetrate deep inside you. Admit that you made mistakes and be humble enough to learn from the experienced laborers.
Above all, make sure to acquire the proper work ethics and character of a dignified civil engineer. Then, you will have your thesis. This is the phase when you have to stay awake ‘til morning to finish the draft. Do this 4-5 times and you get the approved topic. Experience all the pressure there is. Don’t forget to get some beer and cheers!
There will surely come a time when you really want to give up. Throw the white towel out. Come home, shut the door and sleep all day. I tell you, every sleepless night will all be worth it when you become a Professional Civil Engineer. When you pass by a street knowing the road that has been broken down due to creepy sinkhole wouldn’t be rectified without you. You will soon help build a couple their dream house. Or simply saying, you will construct that road ambulance passes through to save that patient who had a cardiac arrest. Who else does? Aren’t we the ones entitled to create it?
Anything is possible. All you have to do is to really, really want to become a Civil Engineer. Do whatever it takes to get you a little bit closer to your dreams. Have an inspiration and practice. Make mistakes and make sure to not commit the same mistake twice. Read. Listen carefully to your professors. Eyes on the licensure exam and not merely graduating. All the best in the world!